SRBC Held Business Meeting in Annapolis, Maryland
SUSQUEHANNA RIVER BASIN COMMISSION
4423 North Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17110
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 9, 2016
Gwyn W. Rowland, Manager, Governmental and Public Affairs
Office: (717) 238-0423, ext. 1316
SRBC Held Business Meeting in Annapolis, Maryland
Approved 27 water project applications, extended comment deadline for Consumptive Use Mitigation Policy
HARRISBURG, Pa. – The Susquehanna River Basin Commission (SRBC) on Thursday, Dec. 8, 2016, held its quarterly business meeting in Annapolis, Md. Among its actions, SRBC:
- adopted a resolution urging the President and U.S. Congress to provide full funding for the Groundwater and Streamflow Information Program, thereby supporting the Susquehanna Flood Forecast and Warning System;
- accepted settlement offers for compliance matters from Panda Hummel Station LLC for $22,750 for consumptively using water in excess of SRBC’s regulatory threshold; Panda Liberty LLC for $30,000 for consumptively using water from unapproved sources ; and Panda Patriot LLC for $44,250 for consumptively using water from unapproved sources;
- extended the term of an emergency certificate with Hazleton City Authority to Dec. 8, 2017;
- extended the comment deadline for the Consumptive Use Mitigation Policy to Jan. 30, 2017, to coincide with the comment deadline for the proposed rulemaking;
- accepted a settlement offer from Montage Mountain Resorts, LP for $72,000, for failing to comply with docket conditions; and
- approved 27 applications, several of which included reduced withdrawal and/or consumptive use rates and two involving into-basin diversions (see lists below).
SRBC’s voting commissioners and alternates were: Ben Grumbles, SRBC Chair and Secretary, Maryland Department of the Environment; Col. Edward Chamberlayne, SRBC Vice Chair, Commander and District Engineer, Baltimore District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; Paul D’Amato, Director, Region 8, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation; and Kelly Heffner, Special Deputy Secretary for Water Resources Planning, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection.
SRBC staff also reported on delegated settlements with the following project sponsors, pursuant to SRBC Resolution No. 2014-15:
- Lewistown Borough Municipal Authority, in the amount of $5,250;
- Columbia Water Company, in the amount of $7,500;
- Eagle Lake Community Association, in the amount of $7,500; and
- Fox Hills Country Club, in the amount of $5,000.
Applications Approved (includes new approvals, modifications, and renewals)
- Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (Bowman Creek), Eaton Township, Wyoming County, Pa.
- Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (Susquehanna River), Susquehanna Depot Borough, Susquehanna County, Pa.
- Chester Water Authority, West Nottingham Township, Chester County, Pa.
- Conyngham/Sugarloaf Joint Municipal Authority (Well 6), Conyngham Borough and Sugarloaf Township, Luzerne County, Pa.
- Exelon Generation Company, LLC, Muddy Run Pumped Storage Project, Drumore and Martic Townships, Lancaster County, Pa.
- Future Power PA, LLC, Good Spring NGCC (Consumptive Use), Porter and Frailey Townships, Schuylkill County, Pa.
- Future Power PA, LLC, Good Spring NGCC (Well RW-1), Porter and Frailey Townships, Schuylkill County, Pa.
- Future Power PA, LLC, Good Spring NGCC (Well RW-2), Porter and Frailey Townships, Schuylkill County, Pa.
- Gilberton Power Company (Consumptive Use), Gilberton Borough and West Mahanoy Township, Schuylkill County, Pa.
- Gilberton Power Company (Gilberton Mine Shaft Well [Gilberton Mine Pool]), Gilberton Borough and West Mahanoy Township, Schuylkill County, Pa.
- Keystone Clearwater Solutions, LLC (Moshannon Creek), Snow Shoe Township, Centre County, Pa.
- Lycoming County Water and Sewer Authority, Halls Station System (Production Well 1), Muncy Township, Lycoming County, Pa.
- Moxie Freedom LLC (Consumptive Use), Salem Township, Luzerne County, Pa.
- Moxie Freedom LLC (Production Well 2), Salem Township, Luzerne County, Pa.
- Town of Nichols (Well PW-1), Tioga County, N.Y.
- Town of Nichols (Well PW-2), Tioga County, N.Y.
- Town of Rising Sun, Rising Sun District, Cecil County, Md.
- Sunoco Pipeline L.P. (Conodoguinet Creek), North Middleton Township, Cumberland County, Pa.
- Sunoco Pipeline L.P. (Frankstown Branch Juniata River), Frankstown Township, Blair County, Pa.
- Sunoco Pipeline L.P. (Susquehanna River), Highspire Borough and Lower Swatara Township, Dauphin County, Pa.
- Sunoco Pipeline L.P. (Swatara Creek), Londonderry Township, Dauphin County, Pa.
- Sunoco Pipeline L.P. (Tuscarora Creek), Lack Township, Juniata County, Pa.
- SWEPI LP (Cowanesque River), Deerfield Township, Tioga County, Pa.
- Transcontinental Gas Pipe Line Company, LLC, Atlantic Sunrise (Fishing Creek), Hemlock Township, Columbia County, Pa.
- Transcontinental Gas Pipe Line Company, LLC, Atlantic Sunrise (Fishing Creek) (Consumptive Use), Hemlock Township, Columbia County, Pa.
Applications Approved (involving a diversion):
- Gilberton Power Company (into-basin diversion from the Delaware River Basin), West Mahanoy Township, Schuylkill County, Pa.
- JKLM Energy, LLC (into-basin diversion from the Ohio River Basin), Roulette Township, Potter County, Pa.
About the Susquehanna River Basin Commission
The Susquehanna River Basin Commission is a federal/interstate governmental agency responsible for protecting and wisely managing the water resources within the 27,500 square-mile Susquehanna River Basin without regard to political boundaries. The Susquehanna rises and flows through New York, Pennsylvania, and Maryland into the Chesapeake Bay. For more information on the Commission, visit srbc.net or follow us on Twitter: @SRBCnews.