Herbert M. Sachs
February 18, 1935-April 12, 2017
- Born in Baltimore, Maryland, and then made Annapolis, Maryland, his home.
- Earned a bachelor’s degree in government and politics in 1955 and a master’s degree in natural resources administration in 1962 at the University of Maryland.
- Played a critical role in creating and directing both the Maryland Department of Water Resources and the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. For 30 years, served in positions at the Maryland Department of Planning and the Maryland Department of Water Resources as well as director of the water resources administration and assistant secretary at the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, overseeing efforts related to water pollution control, water resources management, wastewater treatment, and flood control.
- Was a witness to and directly involved in the enactment of the Susquehanna River Basin Compact by the State of Maryland and the subsequent creation of the Susquehanna River Basin Commission.
- Served as executive director of the Interstate Commission on the Potomac River Basin (1992-1997), supervising efforts related to the coordination of water supply and activities between Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Washington, D.C.
- Was appointed special projects coordinator of the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) (1998-2012) where he served as senior staff to the Governor’s Advisory Committee on the Management and Protection of the State’s Water Resources; MDE representative on the Patuxent River Commission, State Soil Conservation and State Envirothon Executive Committees, and liaison to Coastal Bays Restoration Program; MDE lead for water supply/demand study of Potomac River Basin; and MDE liaison to Anne Arundel County in the investigation of radium contaminated groundwater.
- Served on the Susquehanna River Basin Commission twice (1988-1992 and 2007-2012) as an alternate commissioner representing the State of Maryland.
Recipients of the Herbert M. Sachs Award
There have not been any recipients of this award to date.