Groundwater Level Monitoring Grant Program
The Susquehanna River Basin Commission is pleased to offer a grant program designed to assist projects with collecting and reporting water level data in groundwater wells within the Susquehanna River Basin.
The grant program is focused on projects that need to purchase, install, or maintain groundwater level monitoring equipment such that a project sponsor can accurately collect and report required operational data. Grant awards help develop a valuable resource of operational water level data for the project sponsor to use for the permit renewal process, as well as for sustainably managing their water system. The grant is open to public and non-public project sponsors. Groundwater remediation projects are not eligible for this grant because the collection of water levels is not critical for renewal. Surface water projects are not eligible.
The following groundwater projects are eligible to apply for a grant:
- A project with a current SRBC docket for the withdrawal of groundwater.
- A project with a grandfathering certificate for the withdrawal of groundwater.
- A project under an order to make application for the withdrawal of groundwater.
- A project that includes a well that monitors any of the above three projects.
The grant is open to public and non-public project sponsors. Groundwater remediation projects are not eligible for this grant because the collection of water levels is not critical for renewal.
Grant Award Use
A project sponsor awarded a grant for groundwater level monitoring may use the award for the following:
- For the purchase of equipment for a project that is not currently collecting water level data from its well(s); or
To upgrade monitoring equipment:
- to replace or upgrade equipment failure;
- to achieve better accuracy;
- to achieve better efficiency; or
- to automate water level measurement/recording.
How it Works
When a grant is awarded, the project sponsor and the Commission enter into a grant agreement that specifies award conditions. Of particular importance is that the grant award functions as reimbursement of monitoring equipment purchased by the project sponsor. Funds will be distributed after the project sponsor has submitted paid invoices or receipts to the Commission. Grant awardees must report the water level data to the Commission.
How to Apply
The grant window is currently closed while we process applications. Please check back soon for announcement of the next round. Funding announcements will be made after August 1, 2022.